Friday, April 9, 2010

Hearing the Voice of God

I find it rather ironic that we applaud the Christian who spends time each day in prayer talking to God yet attempt to institutionalize the "fanatic" who asserts that God speaks back. Perhaps, we have forgotten the very nature of our relationship with God. We are His children, sent here to earth from His heavenly presence. He loves us and I imagine, at times He misses us. What parent does not enjoy a phone call from an adult child who has left home? Personally, I talk with at least one of my parents daily. Thank goodness for unlimited talk plans! He wants to hear from us. He wants to know what we think about this earth that He created for us. Not only that, He wants to give us counsel and advice on how to navigate this world safely.
It has been the voice of God that has seen me through some of the storms in life. He has given me warnings about rough waters and dark clouds. I cannot imagine attempting to live my life without knowing that God is willing and capable of talking to me. Who better to remind me of my divine nature and heritage? Who better to teach me of sacrifice? Who better to instruct me on being a father? Who better to direct me in my relationship with my son? My desire is that all who truly love Him will develop the ability to listen in the storm for His voice, to desire for God to speak to them in their lives.
Consider the response of Samuel when the Lord called him. First, supposing that it was Eli that had called him, he went in unto Eli. Pay attention to the exchange between these two. "Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, neither was the word of the Lord yet revealed unto him. And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the Lord had called the child. Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place. And the Lord came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth. And the Lord said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle" (1 Samuel 3: 7-11).

No comments:

Post a Comment